Programs & Classes
at the Buddy House
- Adult Speech Clinic meets Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
(this class is facilitated by graduate students in WKU’s Communication Disorders Clinic)
- Adult Skills Class meets Mondays 1:00 – 3:30 pm
This class focuses on a variety of social, academic, and functional skills to help the individual with Down syndrome become more independent while keeping the mind and body active. Volunteers needed.
- Fitness for Teens & Adults meets Tuesdays at 5:15 – 6:15 pm
Physical fitness is an important for individuals with Down syndrome to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle. This class focus is on strength training and gross motor skills, coordination and balance. The participants keep records and chart their improvements. The class ends with trying a sample of a healthy smoothie. Volunteers are needed to help man the circuit stations and keep participants motivated.
- ZUMBA for Teens & Adults meets Thursdays 3:30 – 4:30 pm
This is a fun way for participants to get a good work out and get their hearts pumping. At the end of class there is a free dance time for participants to show off their dance moves. Volunteers needed.
- CLUB 21 meets on the third Friday of each month 6:00 – 8:00 pm
This is a social activity for teens and adults. Each month is a different form of entertainment: karaoke, bingo, movies, dances plus a snack or meal for each gathering. Volunteers help with socializing, leading activities, serving in the kitchen, set up and clean up. Volunteers needed.
- Creative Art Class for Teens & Adults dates and times TBD
These classes offer a variety of ways for participants to explore creative expression and have a finished project for showing. Volunteers needed.
- WKU Tutoring meets Thursdays 5:00 – 6:00 pm
This program is for children six years old and older. This program focuses on reading, math and writing in a group tutoring environment. Volunteers are WKU exceptional education students.
- Jammerz Junior Dancers meets on the first and third Saturdays of the month 10:00 – 11:00 am
This activity is for children six years old and older. Through music and dance, children increase language skills while learning to take turns, follow directions, increasing coordination, balance, develop muscle control, and creative expression. This is a fun hour for both participants and volunteers. Siblings are invited to participate in the class. Volunteers needed.
- My Buddies and Me Play Group meets on the third Saturday of the month, time and locations vary
This activity is for children birth to five years old and their families.
Families gather for children to play while parents network and share their experiences in raising a child with Down syndrome. Volunteers are occasionally needed when special play times are held at the Buddy House.
- My Buddies and Me Reading Group meets on the first Saturday of the month, 10:30 am at the Buddy House
This activity is for children birth to five years old and their families
We gather to read a book from the “100 books to read before Kindergarten” list and enjoy activities, crafts and snacks associated with the book for the month.
- Summer Mini-Camp for School – Age Children two and a half hour day camp meets for four days in June or July
Each year the camp has a theme (safari, under the sea, farm, etc.) that also incorporates activities to promote and further develop academic, social, and physical skills. This camp depends on a large group of volunteers to help develop and implement the activities.
If anyone is interested in volunteering, contact Jane Tichenor, Buddy House Director at (270)796-5002 or email BGbuddyhouse@gmail.com
The following are opportunities to volunteer for Down Syndrome of South Central Kentucky.